Welcome!!

I am so glad you stopped by today. Please subscribe by email to never miss a post. Then, come on over and like my Facebook page! I hope you will find a lot to encourage you here, and that you'll come back soon!!

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Busy Days with Little Ones - Part 1

The following is just part of a recent e-mail I received from a sweet young mom. She is the mother of two very young children, with the youngest being an infant still.
I am sure that many moms can relate to her question!

"Hi Dawn. I always enjoy reading your blog. Just wondering if you take some questions...For some reason, your name keeps popping to mind every time I think about this issue I have regarding raising my kids. When my husband is home or I have company coming over, I am pretty intentional about devoting time away from kids and being organized etc, but on a normal day, I tend to let the chores slip (and then I rush to get them done right before my husband gets home) because I feel guilty about not doing things with B & J. If I start cleaning or something else I need to get done, it seems the day slips away and I feel like I didn't get enough quality time with my kids. If I start the day with them first, it seems the house is in shambles by lunchtime. Maybe I am just not organized enough and maybe I am just feeling too guilty when I shouldn't.  I know there just needs to be a healthy balance, but do you have any tips on achieving it? B is good about entertaining herself and even helping me cook & clean up around the house, but I feel guilty about not spending more time reading/playing with her...What do you think?  Thanks - A. "

(First of all - I adore questions!! I get tons of them, whether in e-mail, Facebook, in the hallway at church, or the good old fashioned telephone  cell phone! They make me think, and they make me search the Scriptures for the answers. That helps me in my own mothering, and also allows me into the lives of the precious young women who contact me!)

So, can you relate? Ha!! I'm sure every mom has had moments of wondering if she was short changing the children while trying to maintain her home; or whether she was letting too many chores slide while reading to/playing with her children.

Is there a balance to be found? I believe the answer is yes! In 1 Timothy 5:17, Paul instructs young widows to "get married, bear children, and keep house, giving the enemy no occasion for reproach."
Now we aren't specifically talking about widows here, but Paul was addressing young women, so we can still apply the principle to our own lives as young women.

Obviously, Paul didn't intend for these young women to divide their life up between bearing children, housekeeping, and marriage! These things are completely inter-woven in a young woman's life. Marriage typically brings children; and children typically bring the need for more housekeeping!! I think we can all agree on that!

The question then becomes, as this young mom asked, "How do I do it all, and escape the guilt that comes from feeling like I am failing something, or somebody?" 

First of all, I will say that I believe this is false guilt. This sweet mother is seeing that her children need her attention, and that her house also needs her attention.  She is obviously not neglecting either of these needs on purpose, and is actually probably not neglecting them at all! But sometimes as mothers, we feel stretched...too stretched. It seems as if there just is not enough of us to go around.

I have a few ideas for this young mom, and I hope it will be an encouragement for the rest of you.
(Goodness, I have 8 children still at home, and I am homeschooling all of them! I need to write this to encourage my own self!!)

So, come back tomorrow, and let's see if we can come up with some ideas to help all of us as we endeavor to be just one faithful mom.

Part Two...



2 comments:

  1. My children are 10 and 7 and I too have times where I feel the same way. Honestly I don't think mothers really ever get over it. I am a SAHM and have people ask me if I am hurting my children by staying home with them. So there is always guilt from somewhere. I believe that her "guilt" is an attack from Satan, the tricks are always the same. Also one of my favorite quotes is from Phyllis Diller: "Cleaning the house while the kids are still growing is like shoveling the walk while its still snowing". I have this taped on my fridge!!! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sherri (texasmomof5)April 15, 2012 at 12:34 PM

      Oh my gosh, I love that quote! I have to post it on my Facebook. Your blog blesses me, Dawn. I'm reminded of how much the Father loves me and is concerned with all that concerns me. Thank you for your encouragement!

      Delete

I am honored that you have chosen to read and comment on my blog! I hope you will be encouraged by what you find here, and will share it with your friends!

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.